In fairness, it is the middle of February, but the biggest NFL news of the past 24 hours must be the impending unretirement (not a word) of Mr. Randy Moss. If you haven't seen the wonderful montage of Moss-isms below, it is a must-view. If you have, it is worth another look. Beyond the basic questions of (1) why is Randy breaking his cleats out of the closet, and (2) when does he expect to get a look by interested teams, the most important issue from my perspective is, "will Moss be fantasy-relevant?"
Assuming that Peyton Manning maintains eligibility for comeback player of the year, it might be difficult for Moss to make a run at that title. Difficult, that is, if he lands in a poor spot with a weak-armed quarterback, or run-first offensive scheme. According to a couple of the analysts on ESPN's First Take this am (Bomani Jones, and Michael Holley), it is being implied in some circles that the Patriots could be interested in giving their own Randy-ratio another go. A thoroughgoing discussion, and video of the varied merits of Moss, and Terrell Owens can be found here. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570336/randy-moss-says-wants-return-football-2012
Returning to the land of chowdah, and Kennedys would make the upcoming year a promising one for Moss in both the NFL, and derivative football worlds. At this early date, I have to imagine that Randy cracks the top-25 wide receivers if he is in say...Jacksonville - with the amazing Blaine Gabbert. Conversely, if Tom Terrific is throwing him the ball, I don't think top-10 is a stretch by any means.
What did Moss lose by sitting out 2011? He didn't get fat. Even if he can't run, or jump quite like he did a couple years ago, do you really think he will be unable to put up Stevie Johnson (Buffalo) numbers? What about Percy Harvin numbers? If it is Ponder to Harvin, and Brady to Moss, I'll take Randy.
I'm gonna play when I wanna play...
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna say what I wanna say...
I'm gonna do what I wanna do...
Next question